Thursday, July 09, 2009

Ba da Bing

There's a new search engine in town. Bing. The tech guy at NYT says it could be the next big thing. I tried it briefly. It was pretty good. I bookmarked it for further investigation but when I needed to search for something this afternoon, I used google. Force of habit is a strong barrier for Bing to break.

Michael Moore announced the name of his new documentary. Capitalism: A Love Story. I'm betting it has an unhappy ending.

And thanks to Twitter, I discovered some cigar box ukeleles. Really too cool. I happen to have a cigar box. I'm tempted to try making one.

Twitter btw, is turning out to be better than I thought it would be. It makes more sense once you have an account and can read the whole public thread. Gives it more context. I'm still figuring out how it works, but it's more manageable and interesting than I expected. And it gives you the ability to, in effect, IM the legacy media with pithy comments of 140 characters or less. So there's that.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Cosa Nostradamus said...

.
BING is basically just MSN Search redux. It's better than it was, but still no Google, and nobody is using it, hardly. I ping it every day but I still get 99% of my search hits from Google, worlwide. It's scary. If Google banned me, I'd cease to exist.

I kinda hope somebody does give Google some competition. Otherwise they'll end up like MicroSoft: Hegemonic, arrogant, user-unfriendly, incompetent and unsecure.

Problems keep surfacing with their services and their policies. I'd like to get a stand-alone dot.com of my own, but I'm afraid I'd lose most of my readers and all of my old content. Guess I got them ol' blogspot blues.

I don't think GatesCo will help: They have a long history of abandoning web projects, and Google keeps kicking their okoles. They're even morphing Chrome into an OS to compete with MS on small computers & phones. Stay tuned.
.

5:30:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

It's a cutthroat world out there among the technogeeks. Glad I'm just a technodope. Have enough drama in my life already.

9:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home